Davidson Guards SCV Camp 1851

How to Become a Member

Membership in the Sons of Confederate Veterans is open to all male descendants of any veteran who served honorably in the Confederate armed forces. Membership can be obtained through either lineal or collateral family lines and kinship to a veteran must be documented genealogically. The minimum age for full membership is twelve, but there is no minimum for Cadet membership.

The North Carolina Division is composed of over 90 individual chapters, called "Camps," which are located throughout the state.  To find a camp you would like to visit or join; click on the following website link.  The NC Division SCV website is www.ncscv.net and the General SCV website is www.scv.org.

The SCV has a network of genealogists to assist in researching your ancestors for a Confederate veteran.   To obtain proof of his service, contact the archives of the state from which the soldier fought and obtain a copy of the veteran's military service record.

All Southern state's archives have microfilm records of the soldiers who fought from that state, and a copy of the information can be obtained for a nominal fee. In addition, the former Confederate states awarded pensions to veterans and their widows. All of these records contain a wealth of information that can be used to document military service. 

Some states, like North Carolina, have Troops books that have a listing of the Veterans, their company, unit, and information about the soldier.